The Bad Seed (1956) Warner Archive's Remastered Edition Blu-ray Review

Something is unsettling about children who are very quiet or ultra polite. It is just not the norm. Hollywood knew how good horror can be when you have a creepy child as the main threat. That is why there have been so many horror films about children made.

Warner Archive Collection released on Blu-ray Children of the Damned and Village of the Damned. But with Halloween right around the corner, we need a new Blu-ray of a classic horror film. Well, now 1956's The Bad Seed is coming to Blu-ray.

Synopsis: A single mother, adopted herself as a small child, discovers the horrifying truth that within her seemingly angelic young daughter beats the heart of a cold-blooded serial murderer ... even as she learns that her own mother killed everyone else in her family. Now as more people die, one woman must make a terrible decision about the daughter she loves and desperately wants to protect in this classic thriller.

The Bad Seed is a psyhological horror film. There is no jump scares that horror fans have become accustomed to in this generation. This is a slow-burn horror film that really works. When watching this film, I found myself totally immersed in the mystery of The Bad Seed. The film runs over 2 hours, so it can seem a bit long, but the payoff at the end is really good.

Warner Archive Collection have remastered this horror classic and transferred it to Blu-ray in 1080p. The film is presented in 1.85:1 aspect ratio. The audio track is an English DTS-MA HD 2.0 Mono. There is also English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.

Now, in all honesty, this was my first time ever seeing this film so I can't compare this restoration with any other release. But I can tell you this remastered version of this film looks pretty nice. The picture is crisp and clean and the black and white picture is clean. There was no damage to the print that I could see when screening this film. Warner Archive has done another tremendous job with another 50s film.

Special features:
* Commentary by Charles Busch and Patty McCormack
* Featurette: Enfant Terrible: A Conversation with Patty McCormack
* Original Theatrical Trailer

Okay, so the bonus features are a bit light; I would have enjoyed more features, a retrospective, a video essay- something would have been nice. But I do appreciate the addition of the commentary and interview with Patty McCormack.  
 
Now, The Bad Seed may not be everyone's cup of tea for horror, but I can not deny I enjoyed it immensely. If you love 50s slow-burn horror, this new remastered edition Blu-ray of The Bad Seed may be the next great addition to your home video library. Head over to MovieZyng or Amazon and order your copy today.



Out of 4 film reels (4 being the best) the Blu-ray of The Bad Seed receives......