Advertisement

MovieZyng

The Match (2021) {Mill Creek Entertainment DVD Review}

Reviewed by Jason Lockard

Historical film and sports films are two of my favorite genres of films. So when you can get a sports film that is inspired by actual historical events, that excites me. In 2021 acting legends joined forces to bring us a tale of soccer and Nazis entitled The Match.

Now thanks to the great folks at Mill Creek Entertainment are bringing this historical sports drama featuring Armand Assante and Franco Nero on DVD and I couldn't be happier to see it!

In the Spring of 1944 to commemorate Adolf Hitler’s birthday, Colonel Franz (Caspar Phillipson) and the Nazis decide to organized a Football Match (Soccer here in the United States) between an elite Nazi team and a squad of inmates from the Camps lead by Hungarian soccer captian
Laszlo Horvath (Andrej Dojkic). Time after time the Nazis throw obstacles in their paths, but they are determined to win no matter what happens.

This is a tremendous film. The story is woven perfectly into an engaging tale that had me on the edge of my seat. The acting is great, everyone is so believable in their roles. It is amazing to see the great Armand Assante and the original Django himself Franco Nero in this film. Even in their 70s these two still can act with the best of them.

It is good to note that this film is a Nazi war film. So there is a lot of violent acts, blood and a few off color words. So viewer discretion is advised. But I must say in comparison to many films nowadays this one seems very tame.

This film has been transferred on DVD in Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 aspect ratio with a Dolby 5.1 soundtrack. There is also included English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing. This film looks and sounds stunning.

The only downside of this release is there is no bonus features included on this disc. I would have liked to see a trailer or and audio commentary. But I must say I enjoyed this film so much that I can give the lack of bonus features a pass.


Watch The Trailer:


If you are as much of a fan of sport and historical dramas as I am, I highly recommend The Match. You can order a copy of the DVD at Amazon.com today.

Out of 4 Film Reels (4 Being the Best) The Mill Creek Entertainment's DVD of The Match receives...

Post a Comment

0 Comments