Advertisement

MovieZyng

Back to the Drive-In (2002) DVD Review

In the 1950s and 60s one of the biggest forms of entertainment was going to the movies, but the most popular way for teenagers and young adults was the drive-in movie theaters. Guys would takes their best girl and spend an evening at the drive. Even family would pile in the car for a night of entertainment.

Over the years the Drive-In theaters have gone the way of the dinosaur, mostly extinct. But there were some Drive-In's that still hung on. When the Covid pandemic hit and shut done everything people were looking for ways to escape the house for a little bit and drive-in movies were a great way to get out, but still be safe.

In 2022 MPX Films produced a documentary about this Covid resurgence of Drive-In theaters. Now Uncork'D Entertainment have released this documentary on DVD.

In this fascinating documentary, we go behind the scenes to visit eleven unique family-owned drive-ins across the country to experience their passion and determination to keep their theaters alive. It's a story of human resilience.

By the time I was born the Drive-In theaters were already gone. For people in my generation when I was a kid the best form of entertainment was Home Video, whether it be VHS or DVD. So, I grew up loving movies on home video. But watching old movies and television and seeing the teenagers at the drive-ins looked so cool!

Watching this documentary was so eye opening experience. I never thought about how these theaters could suffer from things like fog, passing trains, ect. But to see the time and the energy that goes into building a drive-in and sacrifice to run it. For some of these people it is for little money at all! While others seem to do okay financially. 

I was amazed to see how much time and money one family put in to make their drive-in a retro 50s style experience. They put in retro popcorn machines and counters and even made lighted aisles to guide people's car to the proper place. Simply amazing!  

Uncork'D Entertainment have released this documentary on Made-On-Demand DVD. It is presented in Widescreen format in 1.78:1 aspect ratio and the there are two audio options a 5.1 Dolby Digital and a 2.0 Stereo. There are also English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing. 

Now as many who read my reviews known, I am a huge fan of bonus features. Uncork'D Entertainment have put on this DVD a trailer for this documentary. That is a nice bonus. I'm sure there were a lot of unused footage, maybe seeing some additional interviews would have been nice. Also, I wished this was a pressed DVD instead of a made-on-demand. But that is a minor complaint!

I have to say I don't know why we moved away from Drive-In theaters. They seem like a very cool thing. I guess we just don't like to sit in our cars for hours in this day and age. Me I don't enjoy sitting in movie theaters. That's why I am a proponent of physical media. But If I wanted to see a movie at the theater, I think I would love to go to the drive-in.

If you love documentaries as much as I do, I think you will be thoroughly entertained by this one. It is well produced and an enjoyable experience to watch. Head over to Moviezyng and order your copy of Back to the Drive-In today!


Out of 4 Film Reels (4 Being the Best) the DVD of Back to the Drive-In receives....

Post a Comment

0 Comments