Ladybugs (1992) Blu-ray Review

Rodney Dangerfield got no respect, no respect at all! But one thing is for sure he made audiences laugh with his antics. Whether it was his standup, appearances on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson or his movies, he was so much fun to watch.

When he transitioned to movies, he made some cult classics like Back to School, Easy Money, Meet Wally Sparks and the animated family feature Rover Dangerfield. In 1992 Rodney Dangerfield joined forced with 227 TV star Jackée Harry to make Ladybugs. Now this Rodney Dangerfield comedy comes home to Blu-ray!

Synopsis: Chester Lee (Rodney Dangerfield) gets no respect as a salesman seeking a promotion, so he decides to coach the company-sponsored girls' soccer team to impress his boss. Problem is, he knows nothing about the sport and his players are the most inept in the league, so he convinces his girlfriend's son to don a wig and join the squad.

A lot of people loathe this film. And while I can understand that this is an odd vehicle for the comedy of Rodney Dangerfield, for me it still works. I watched this film for the first time in the early 2000s and have watched it several time since then. I always seem to enjoy the viewing! I think you put Rodney in War and Peace, and he would be funny!

I think Jackée Harry (Sister, Sister) is tremendous in this film and so is Johnathan Brandis (SeaQuest DSV) as well as Vinessa Shaw (Hocus Pocus). No doubt I am in the minority in my love for this film. But there are some films that are just a guilty pleasure, and Ladybugs just happens to be one of mine.

Ladybugs have been transferred to Blu-ray in 1080p in 1.78:1 aspect ratio. The audio is an English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. There is also option for subtitles in English and French.

It is nice to see Ladybugs in HD. Watching it in standard definition all these years is okay, but this is 2024 and seeing it in high definition it truly is a welcomed upgrade. This film looks crisp and clean and sounds clear with no hiss or pops. 


Now in addition to this film in HD the bonus of the theatrical trailer is included on this disc. That is a nice bonus, however I wished there could have been a bit more. I retrospective about this film as it is 32 years old would have been great. But I will take what I can get.

Also, this is a made-on-demand Blu-ray. So, this is a burned disc. I would have preferred a pressed Blu-ray as the pressed disc have a longer life than burned ones. but that is a minor complaint. 

I enjoy the films of Rodney Dangerfield, even the ones that are not his best. Ladybugs is not his best film, but it is a fun film to watch. And seeing it in HD is so cool! If you enjoy the films of Rodney Dangerfield as much as I do. And if Ladybugs is your guilty pleasure film, you need this Blu-ray in your collection. head over to MovieZyng and order your copy today. 



Out of 4 film reels (4 being the best) the Blu-ray of Ladybugs receives.....

Post a Comment

0 Comments