Advertisement

MovieZyng

Power Rangers (2017 Movie Review)

Reviewed By Jason Lockard

The Original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers were a part of my childhood! I remember coming home from school and before homework or anything else I would turn on the TV and watch the sci-fi goodness of my favorite band of superheroes and their amazing machines.

Each day I would wonder what insidious plot Rita and Goldar would try to come up with to destroy my favorite Rangers and take over the world. So no doubt the original Power Rangers still hold a very special place in my heart!

I recently picked up some of the original series and have been re-watching them, and I have to say I still enjoy the episodes all these years later. For that reason I held off on watching the 2017 movie. Not because it didn't look amazing. I was afraid the film would ruin my memories of my childhood.

I don't know exactly why, but for whatever reason I decided now was the time to experience this re-imagining or reboot of my favorite adventure show from my childhood.

This version follows five outcast teens from the small town of Angel Grove. When they uncover some artifact coins and escape a horrific accident. Soon realize that have amazing powers and have been chosen to fight the alien threat that is about to destroy not only their town but quite possibly the whole world.

I have to say that the spirit of the original Power Rangers is in this movie. The action and CGI is utterly amazing. But I just don't like that they had to use the same names. Why couldn't these be five new kids.  Jason Lee Scott, Trini Kwan, Zack Taylor, Kimberly Hart and Billy Cranston will always be the heroes from the original series to me.

Bryan Cranston was pretty good as Zardon and I enjoyed Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa. The Power Ranger armor was awesome. However Alpha looked nothing like the original design. And speaking of that, we wait most of the movie for the zords to come together and when it finally happened and I saw the Megazord. I have to be honest I hated it! 




It was very cool seeing cameos by Amy no Johnson and Jason David Frank. But something missing in this movie is the fun. Where was Bulk and Skull? The original Power Rangers were all good kids, these ones were the detention kids like Bulk and Skull. The producers of this movie just failed to capture the essence of the original characters in my humble opinion.

They left the movie open for the sequel and a teaser of Tommy Oliver, but with the poor box office numbers, sequels were cancelled. Now there is talks of yet another reboot by Paramount Pictures. Hopefully if this one happens they watch the original series and stay closer to the source material.

If you would like to see this reboot movie you can check it out by going to Amazon.com. But for me it was just mildly entertaining.

Out of 4 Film reels (4 being the best) the Power Rangers reboot movie receives...


Post a Comment

0 Comments