Advertisement

MovieZyng

The Heavenly Kid (1985) {Blu-ray Review}

Reviewed by Jason Lockard

What happens after we die? Do we go to Heaven or Hell? Do we just flicker out light the flame on a candle? Or do we come back? That is one of the great mysteries of the world. Now we all have our opinions, but what is the truth.

Filmmakers have explored this topic, but never in such an amazing way as with this comedy drama from 1985 entitled The Heavenly Kid. Now the good folks from Scorpion Releasing and Ronin Flix have released this cult classic on Blu-ray.

The film follows 1960s rebel without a cause  Bobby Fantana (Lewis Smith, Wyatt Earp, Southern Comfort, The Man who fall to Earth). He never met a challenge he didn't except and in a game of chicken looses his life. Now he finds himself at the gates of Heaven, but before he can enter he must help Lenny Barnes (Jason Gedrick, Iron Eagle) learn how to be cool.

Joining Lewis and Jason in the cast is TV legend Richard Mulligan (Soap, Empty Nest, Scavenger Hunt) and Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm in the Middle).  This is an 80s comedy with a splash of drama that must be seen to be believed.

I remember watching this one after renting it at a video store with my family one weekend (as was our custom when I was a kid). And even after all these years I have remembered this film. So when Ronin Flix announced the release of this film I had to see it again after all these years and I must say it still has as much charm as I remember.

The film has been remastered in HD. It is presented in 1080p and is in widescreen format in 1.78:1 aspect ratio. The Audio is a DTS-HD Stereo and there is English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.

This film looks amazing in HD, better than I remembered. The colors are vibrant and the picture is crisp. The audio is as clear as a bell. I am so impressed with this new HD master. I am glad that these 80s films are getting the love they so richly deserve. But Ronin Flix didn't release a bare bones Blu-ray. No way! They added some cool bonuses features. Take a look at what is included on this Blu-ray.

* Brand New Audio Commentary by Director Cary Medoway, Moderated by Jeff McKay

* Brand New Interviews with Stars Lewis Smith and Nancy Valen

* Original Trailer

There are films that are nostalgic and than there are films that are just good. Sometimes a bad film is nostalgic, but it is still a bad film. I am glad to say re-watching this all these years later that not only was this film nostalgic for me, it is as good as I remember.

If you love 80s cinema as much as I do I highly recommend picking up a copy of The Heaven Kid for your Blu-ray collection. You will be impressed with the New HD Master and the film is just a really cool story. Head over to Amazon and pick up a copy for yourself or a friend today.

Out of 4 film reels (4 being the best) Ronin Flix Blu-ray release of The Heavenly Kid receives...

Post a Comment

0 Comments