Advertisement

MovieZyng

Madame Curie (1943) {Warner Archive Blu-ray Review}

Reviewed by Jason Lockard

Biographical films! I have always been a sucker for them. I love to see how a film maker crafts the story of historical characters to the screen. I could not count how many biographical films I have watched in my lifetime. So When I got a chance to see another one! I had to jump at the chance.

In 1943 Mervyn LeRoy brought to screen the life and times of Marie Salomea Skłodowska a Polish and naturalized-French physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity. Better known in history as Madame Curie.

Now the great folks at Warner Archive have given this Oscar nominated biopic a Blu-ray release it so richly deserves. And believe it or not it is for the first time ever.

Greer Garson brings to life the brilliant scientist and pioneering woman. Marie
Salomea Skłodowska begins to break down the walls of the field that was closed to women. She gains the respect and eventually the love of fellow scientist Pierre Curie (Walter Pidgeon). They live, love and work for the greater good of mankind.

Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon have great 'chemistry' together as Monsieur and Madame Curie. They are also joined by a stellar supporting cast Robert Walker, Henry Travers, Albert Bassermann, Van Johnson, Margret O'Brien, Reginald Owen.

Paul Osborn and Paul H. Rameau did a great job adapting Eve Curie's book Madame Curie to the screen. While the film can't be considered to be completely accurate, I would say it is more faithful to the truth that some other Hollywood films of that era.

Madame Curie has been transferred to Blu-ray in it's original full screen format in 1080p but in 1.37:1 aspect ratio. The film looks to be a 4K scan. The soundtrack is a DTS-HD 2.0 Master Audio.Included is the option for English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing. As I watched this film I have to say I was amazed and the quality of this transfer. There is no signs of damage to this print, It looks and sound magnificent.



The film looks so amazing that would be enough for me to recommend this to our readers. But Warner Archive added some nice bonuses as well to this Blu-ray release. Take a look at what was included.

* Romance on Radium: A ten-minute Pete Smith Short. This is a scientific film that focuses on the discovery of radium.

* Theatrical Trailer

I have always enjoyed the Pete Smith Shorts, so to see that Warner Archive has included one of these short films on this Blu-ray, to me that is a huge bonus. Warner Archive really put the love into this release and I believe they deserve a big thank you for it! 

So if you love biographical films as much as I do. I highly recommend this stunning looking Blu-ray from Warner Archive of the life of Madame Curie. You can get your copy by heading over to Amazon.com today.

Out of 4 Film Reels (4 Being the Best) Warner Archive's Blu-ray of Madame Curie receives...


Post a Comment

0 Comments