DVD Review: Oink! (2022)

Animation has been apart of my life ever since I was a child. When I grew up I watched the antics of Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, Daffy Duck the Road Runner and Elmer Fudd on Looney Tunes. But Stop Motion was just as big a part of my childhood. I remember the first watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Rakin/Bass. After that life changing viewing experience I was hooked on stop motion animation. I wanted to see as much as I could. Including going back to watch Gumby.

During the holiday season I would watch The Mad Monster Party, Santa Clause is coming to town and The Nightmare before Christmas. But I would go beyond that and watch The Wallace and Gromit series and Chicken Run. So As you can see I do enjoy stop motion animation. 

Well, in 2022 Dutch stop motion animated film based on the book "The Revenge of Oink" by Tosca Menten was produced. Now Synergetic have given this animated film a chance to love forever on home video with the DVD release.

The film follows a 9-year-old Babs who receives a pig that she names Oink as a birthday present from her grandfather. Her parents are not thrilled with the new pet, but they are not the biggest threat to Oink. Her grandfather is secretly entering a sausage competition and plans on Oink being the main ingredient to his victory.

Now while stop motion is not the type of animation everyone likes, fans of stop motion will appreciate this film. Oink is a cute and heartwarming tale of the love a human can have to an animal. But make no mistake about this this is a kind of dark subject matter so it is a little more geared to adults. Now by no means does that mean this film is dirty, it's just has themes some children may not be ready for. So parental discretion is advised.

Now Synergetic has transferred this film to DVD in widescreen format. The film has been dubbed to English for this home video release. I am so glad for that as it makes the viewing of this release so much better, as you can focus on the story and the animations instead of reading subtitles. 

Oink Movie Still


The film's DVD transfer is spectacular. The pictures is crisp the audio is clean. The colors are so beautiful. It is like something from Willie Wonka and the chocolate factory. Simply Amazing! Now as for bonus features. There is none! I would have loved to see the trailer, an interview with the director, Mascha Halberstad. So that is a bit of a downer, but for me I enjoy having this stop motion film in my collection so I am okay with no bonuses, but bonuses would have made this release 100% better.

When watching Oink I really became invested with the story. I found myself almost shedding a tear and than cheering for the exciting chase. Oink really has it all heart, drama, comedy and adventure. It is the total package in animation. And at a runtime of just over 1 hour and 10 minutes. It is the perfect length. 

Now in a long line of iconic entertainment pigs including Wilber (Charlotte's Web), Arnold (Green Acres) and Babe (film series) comes Oink! This is a film I am proud to have in my animation collection. If you love stop motion animation as much as I do Oink is one DVD you need. Head over to Amazon and order your copy today.


Out of 4 Film Reels (4 Being the Best) The DVD release of Oink receives....


Post a Comment

0 Comments