Making Apes: The Artist that Changed film (2019) Blu-ray Review

There is very few films that have stuck with me from the very first time I saw it and still holds up and entertains me even after all these years. That film is 1968's The Planet of the Apes. I remember watching this film on Sci-Fi Channel when I was a teenager. I subsequently watched it every time I could when it aired on Sci-Fi Channel.

I would continue to watch this classic and the sequels through out the years on DVD and Blu-ray. I can even begin to count the number of times I have watched the original classic. It still holds up even in 2024. Most of the reason for that is the great make-up effects. Now Gravitas Ventures have released the 2019 documentary about the artist that changed film in "Making Apes" on Blu-ray.

Synopsis: Making Apes tells the emotional and thrilling story of how 50 years ago, a group of ambitious make-up artists led by John Chambers and Tom Burman ushered in a new era of cinema with their groundbreaking work on Planet of the Apes.

This is a fascinating documentary that features interviews from Bobby Porter, Guillermo del Toro, John Landis, Leonard Maltin, Lou Wagner, Matt Winston, Richard Donner, Rick Baker, Thomas Burman. It tracks not only the make-up produced by John Chambers and his company. But the fallout between Chambers and Tom Burman.

This is more than a documentary; it is a journey down memory lane. I can see the possibility of non-Planet of the Apes fans not finding this documentary as exciting as fans would. Now it should be noted that this documentary does have some uncensored comments. So, there is a couple instances of profanity in this documentary. So, viewer beware.

The film has been transferred to Blu-ray in 1080p and is presented in widescreen format. There are two audio options a 5.1 surround sound and a 2.0 stereo. Finally, there is English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.

The film's transfer to Blu-ray is really good. There is no signs of digital artifact or audio anomalies. The film looks crisp and clean. In addition to the almost 90 minute film, this Blu-ray includes the film's trailer.

As a proponent for physical media over streaming, I love that this documentary has received a Blu-ray release. As we have seen many times TV shows and movies are removed from streaming without any hope to see them again. But with this Blu-ray I can watch it whenever I want forever!

As we all know many documentaries have been made about Planet of the Apes throughout the years. But none have focused so much on John Chambers and the artist that shaped the simian race. I am glad to display this Blu-ray among the original movie series, TV series, cartoons series and new movies on my shelf!

If you love documentaries and The Planet of the Apes as much as I do, this Blu-ray is the perfect addition to your Apes collection. Head over to MovieZyng and order your copy today.


Out of 4 Film Reels (4 being the best) The Blu-ray of Making Apes receives......

Post a Comment

0 Comments