Advertisement

MovieZyng

My Man Godfrey (1936) {Colorized DVD Review}

Carol Lombard and William Powell in My Man Godfrey in ColorReviewed By Jason S. Lockard

Screwball comedies are harder to pull off than people realize. In the thirties Hollywood was churning these out like butter and that didn’t come much better than My Man Godfrey. I was highly privileged to receive a copy of Legend Films newest release of this classic on DVD.

My Man Godfrey follows a ditzy socialite Irene Bullock (Carole Lombard) with a heart of gold, who finds a "forgotten man" Godfrey Smith (William Powell) in a scavenger hunt. Than takes him in as the family butler than the crazy antics begin. What kind of antics? You have to watch the film to find out. My Man Godfrey was deservedly nominated for 5 academy awards.

This Legend Films release not only includes the restored original black and white classic, but it also includes the newly colorized version. For years colorization was horrific, but Legend Films in my opinion is head and shoulders above the rest. They take the time to make sure it right and I give them credit for it. As for bonus features you get the original trailer. That’s it, but hey your getting two versions of this classic comedy.


Legend Films colorized DVD still of My Man Godfrey


So if your a fan of screwball comedies as much as I am you won’t find a much screwier comedy than this classic. I highly recommend you head over to www.LegendFilms.net or your local DVD provider and pick this one up. You won’t regret it!

Moral Rating: Nothing Offensive
Audience: Family
Genre: Comedy
Length: 95 minutes
DVD Released: 2005
Our DVD Rating: A

Post a Comment

0 Comments